Unhappy with my theme’s comment display, I recently re-coded a sexier comment display as a plugin so others can sexify their comments as well.
- Forum-thread-like comment layout: User information to the left, comment to the right.
- Author post highlighting
- Altered Trackback/Pingback Display Formating
- Either display/hide avatars
- Select your avatar service of choice (Gravatar is the only option until I find more avatar services)
- Specify maximum avatar dimension
- Customize default/trackback avatars
- “Number of Comments” Message Customization
- CSS Overriding
- Download and unzip the sexycomments.zip
- Place sexycomments folder in your wp-content/plugins directory
- Log in to your WordPress admin panel and activate the plugin, then visit the SexyComments submenu of the plugins tab.
- Customize the settings until you have something that works for you.
- Locate the template file(s) in your theme that loops over and displays comments. Remove that comment output loop and replace with:
< ?php sexycomments_print($comments); ?>
NOTE: Be sure not to touch the section that generates the form for adding comments! This plugin does not re-create the comment creation form.
- Lastly, consider disabling the plugin CSS and taking the example CSS provided and customize it to suit your theme’s color scheme.
- You should be all set, now! w00t w00t! Go make a Gravatar account if you don’t already have one and upload an avatar.