Today, ArenaNet announced Guild Wars 2 for the Mac (beta). As excited as I was for that announcement, I wasn’t looking forward to downloading the client all over again. With some digging, I discovered that I could simply copy my GW2.dat file from my windows installation to the mac install. Here’s how:
- Make your Windows client GW2.dat file available some how (mine is on an external drive)
- Download the Mac client.
- Run the installer.
- When the login window/downloader shows its ugly face, close the window.
- In your Finder window, navigate to your Guild Wars 2 install.
- Right click the Guild Wars 2 application and select “Show Package Contents”.
- Navigate to: Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > GW2
- Copy your GW2.dat file from step 1 over the top of the GW2.dat file in the Finder window.
- Run the game and it’ll download any updates!